On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 16:56:16 +0200
hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Gentoo supports systemd, fine. Still, OpenRC is our default
> implementation and I don't think something should be called stable _on
> gentoo_ that doesn't work with the system tools we have designed and
> advertise.

Gentoo advertises choice [1]; if it advertises OpenRC, state where.

 [1]: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml
      "for just about any application or need"

      http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/philosophy.xml
      "as they see fit"

      http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#differences
      "You have complete control over what packages are or aren't
      installed. Gentoo provides you with numerous choices, so you can
      install Gentoo to your own preferences, which is why Gentoo is
      called a meta-distribution."

None of these advertise OpenRC or that things do need to work with it.

> Let me quote myself from another thread:
>
> > Maintaining a package in gentoo implies a few things for me:
> > We are able to support it properly which either means that we can
> > communicate with upstream or at least (if that fails) fix bugs on
> > our own.
>
> There is nothing "properly" about forcing a particular init system,

That's just your opinion, it depends on how you define "properly"; not
all combination of choices are possible, incompatibility with packages
that can be replaced has never been a reason to not maintain a package.
If it is a reason that has been agreed on; then, please state where.

> upstream obviously doesn't care and our own devs gave up on trying to
> fix it.
>
> So nothing of that seems to apply here.

Why does it need to apply? Without reference, what does the quote mean?

Even if it did; the package is maintained, so this is not a problem...

Can we please stop brainstorming subjective reasons that block choice?

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D