On 09/02/2013 01:29 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 09:41:28PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
>> Dnia 2013-09-02, o godz. 14:21:52
>> William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> napisał(a):

>>> All,
>>>
>>> I'm starting a new thread on this, because I think it might warrant some
>>> discussion.
>>>
>>> I can see why someone might want to use escape codes for color displays,
>>> etc. However, imo, escape codes do not belong in log files.
>>
>> Well, colors are not the only thing that uses escape sequences. They
>> are used pretty often for various kinds of progress reporting --
>> percentages, progress bars. Many tools simply don't implement any other
>> kind of progress reporting, so sometimes it's either escape sequences
>> or long waiting with no signs of life.
>>
>>> mgorny says many people benefit from having escape codes in log
>>> files, but I see no benefit from it, and I don't like going through
>>> build.log because of them. If you load a build.log into an editor, the
>>> escape sequences are basically trash characters that get in the way.
>>
>> I said people benefit from having them output during the build process.
>> Logs are a different thing, that's why I suggested having a feature
>> that would remove those from output when generating logs.
>
> There is a NOCOLOR variable you can set in make.conf, but that would
> require users to set it, and it also affects the display.
>
> How does portage write build.log?

It uses its PipeLogger class to read the output from a pipe, and write
to the log (and stdout if appropriate):

http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=blob_plain;f=pym/portage/util/_async/PipeLogger.py;hb=HEAD

So yes, it would be possible to do translations on-the-fly. However, the
event loop that handles the logging is currently single threaded, and
might become a bottleneck if it has to do lots of output processing
(especially for larger values of --jobs).
--
Thanks,
Zac