On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 14:03:14 -0500
William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > > They belong there so future display can remain colorful.
> >
> > > Why do they not belong there? What do people have to do who want
> > > them?
> >
> > Escape sequences have been designed for communication with
> > peripheral devices, not for markup or as a storage format.
> >
> > Also "future colorful display" generally won't be portabe because
> > escape sequences depend on the setting of the TERM variable. (And
> > again, software that emits them with TERM=dumb or TERM unset is
> > broken.)
>
> Ulrich has summed this up well here. The bottom line is that escape
> sequences are for communicating with the user's peripheral devices.

Nice summary. But, it is also communicating with my peripheral device.

> Since yours may not be the same as the user's who created the log, you
> don't even know that yours will respond the same way.

Sounds like something we need to standardize. Although, from the many
build logs I have came across; it does respond fairly well in most of
the cases, I am yet to come across a build log that displays bad.

And for that occasional build log, stripping isn't a hard thing to do.

> I don't care what goes to the user's terminal, but these escape
> sequences do not belong in log files.

And then I asked the questions that I'd like to see answered:

Why do they not belong there? What do people have to do who want them?

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D