> I am revisiting this topic based on previous discussions[1,2,3].

> There seems to be a constant need for toolchain with a new EAPI. The
> only block is "how can we upgrade from an ancient system?", "don't
> bump or the upgrade path will be break". Let's figure out a solid
> upgrade path consciously, with a test farm of ancient systems, and
> then bump the EAPI of toolchain.

The upgrade path is not at all what is blocking this. In its 20130409
meeting, the council has (unanimously) decided: "EAPIs 0 to 2 are no
longer required for the upgrade path of users' systems."

The reason why toolchain packages are still at EAPI 0 was explained in
this posting:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/2369/focus=2377

AFAICS, changing that is entirely the task of the toolchain team.

Ulrich