"Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zeroch...@gentoo.org> writes:

>>> I am revisiting this topic based on previous discussions[1,2,3].
>>
>>> There seems to be a constant need for toolchain with a new EAPI. The
>>> only block is "how can we upgrade from an ancient system?", "don't
>>> bump or the upgrade path will be break". Let's figure out a solid
>>> upgrade path consciously, with a test farm of ancient systems, and
>>> then bump the EAPI of toolchain.
>>
>> The upgrade path is not at all what is blocking this. In its 20130409
>> meeting, the council has (unanimously) decided: "EAPIs 0 to 2 are no
>> longer required for the upgrade path of users' systems."
>>
>> The reason why toolchain packages are still at EAPI 0 was explained in
>> this posting:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/2369/focus=2377
>>
>> AFAICS, changing that is entirely the task of the toolchain team.

Thank you for the clarification, Ulrich.

> Yes, it is entirely the task of the toolchain team, and looks like
> heroxbd joined the toolchain team and would like to push the rest of his
> team for this update. Something I greatly thank him for.
>
> I don't think any dev wants to (or really could) force toolchain to
> update individually, however, if motivated people want to join the team
> and help, his question appeared to be will it be permitted to be
> updated.

Can't agree with you more.

It's just a starting point, though. I still don't have a clear plan yet.

After reading carefully the thread Ulrich pointed out, it seems that
refactoring ebuild/eclass is invevitable, which calls for an overlay to
carry it on.

Benda