On 09/28/2013 10:12 PM, hero...@gentoo.org wrote:

>>> The upgrade path is not at all what is blocking this. In its 20130409
>>> meeting, the council has (unanimously) decided: "EAPIs 0 to 2 are no
>>> longer required for the upgrade path of users' systems."
>>>
>>> The reason why toolchain packages are still at EAPI 0 was explained in
>>> this posting:
>>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/2369/focus=2377
>>>
>>> AFAICS, changing that is entirely the task of the toolchain team.
>
> Thank you for the clarification, Ulrich.
>
>> Yes, it is entirely the task of the toolchain team, and looks like
>> heroxbd joined the toolchain team and would like to push the rest of his
>> team for this update. Something I greatly thank him for.
>>
>> I don't think any dev wants to (or really could) force toolchain to
>> update individually, however, if motivated people want to join the team
>> and help, his question appeared to be will it be permitted to be
>> updated.
>
> Can't agree with you more.
>
> It's just a starting point, though. I still don't have a clear plan yet.
>
> After reading carefully the thread Ulrich pointed out, it seems that
> refactoring ebuild/eclass is invevitable, which calls for an overlay to
> carry it on.

While I'm not nearly good enough to detail how this should happen
exactly, please, may I beg, do an eclass revision for this.  The fact
that this hasn't been done clearly implies it is a lot of work.  Let's
not risk stable, let's simply make toolchain-r1.eclass or whatever, and
bump that to eapi5.  At the end of the day, this allows working and
testing without odd issues, and if everyone really hates that idea you
can simply drop the changes into the original eclass when it's all done.

Thanks,
Zero