2013/11/28 Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org>:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Paul B. Henson <hen...@acm.org> wrote:

>>> Yes, I think it is really f-ing broken too.
>>
>> Well, looks like it's just you and me in that camp :(, quite
>> disappointing no other devs stepped up with an opinion on this. Guess
>> I'll just fix this in my local overlay and the rest of the users can
>> fend for themselves.
>
> Did anybody actually talk to the maintainer about this and ask why
> this was done?  That would probably be a good first step if you want
> it to change.  Having 47 devs agree with you doesn't really accomplish
> much if none of them care to maintain the package in question.
Paul talked to me via the bug tracker, bug 491134, and due to
discussion we had there openntpd-20080406-r5 features a use flag to
bring back syslog support (for details see the bug). This allows to
run openntpd with two different ways of logging, via syslog (like Paul
wants) and with a separate log file to avoid boot delays (like djc
wants). We could easily make syslog logging the default, like
polynomial-c suggested in another thread, but syslog is enabled in
most profiles by default anyway.

--
Christoph Junghans
http://dev.gentoo.org/~ottxor/