On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 08:55:56AM -0700, Christoph Junghans wrote:

> run openntpd with two different ways of logging, via syslog (like Paul
> wants) and with a separate log file to avoid boot delays (like djc
> wants). We could easily make syslog logging the default, like

My point is that running in debug mode to avoid boot delays is broken.
As I've explained, the delays come about because the user explicitly
requested that openntpd set the time at start up. Don't use the -s
option, no boot delay. The option to run in debug mode with a hardcoded
log file just shouldn't exist at all. It actually breaks the -s option,
as openntpd is backgrounded before it can set the time, and other
processes potentially start without a valid time.

>From my testing, the boot delay is capped at 15 seconds anyway. If
people are experiencing longer delays, the solution is to track down the
bug that's causing the delay to exceed the 15 second timeout, not to
kludge around it. If someone can provide a configuration that reliably
reproduces a delay longer than 15 seconds, I've offered to look into it.