On 12/05/2013 05:30 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 06:46:36PM +0200, Samuli Suominen wrote:
>>> seems like a virtual that wouldn't do anything useful except pull in
>>> random package(s) a la binary-distribution style
>>
>> What about the stages? Don't we need some form of net support in
>> stage 3?
>>

> That's debatable. For a typical install, the user has to install other
> basic stuff like a boot loader, kernel, etc. So having them also
> select a network config framework seems logical.
>
> Is there a use case for a stage3 in which installing netifrc by hand
> is impractical?

Well ...

I remember filing a bug quite a while ago because we didn't have a dhcp
client included anymore. This made installs quite annoying because
before it was stage3, kernel, bootloader, go!

And now it was go ... stop ... reboot ... install dhcp client ...
grremblwrrxrmkrxtlmrrrg .... reboot

That extra step of whining was loud enough to have openrc fixed to be
able to use busybox udhcp, so that "out of the box" most network worked.

... and now people are trying to do the same again.

I would STRONGLY recommend having a working network setup included in
stage3, so that compared to now nothing changes.