On 12/03/2013 04:11 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
> I would like to add a virtual/network-manager package to @system which
> has the following rdepend settings:
>
> RDEPEND=" || (
>       net-misc/netifrc
>       >=sys-apps/openrc-0.12[newnet]
>       net-misc/badvpn
>       net-misc/dhcpcd
>       net-misc/netctl
>       net-misc/NetworkManager
>       net-misc/wicd )"
>
>       Does anyone see an issue with setting it up this way?
>
>       William

I see two issues here. Both are rather trivial to solve imho.

1.) If we are going to stuff this into @system then we probably want a
USE=nonet flag to allow users to not pull anything in if they really
don't want it.

2.) having dhcpcd in this list will cause everything else to be cleaned
out that that is baaaad.  imho, dhcpcd shouldn't be on this list at all
purely from a safety perspective.  The stages will have dhcpcd so they
wouldn't end up with netifrc afaict.

Just as a side note, after reading the thread up through this point, I'm
terrified of the individuals who wish to remove networking support from
stage3 entirely.  If anyone wants to push that idea then that needs to
be addressed by the council.  Period.  Such a major change is going to
cause a holy war, and myself and others will actively revert any change
which removes net from stage3 under the guise of "critical breakage"
unless there is council direction that says we are no longer including
net support in the stage3s.

Honestly, I'm not really sure why anyone would want to make stage3 less
functional than it already is but honestly net isn't something I'm ready
to give up just yet.

- -Zero