On 04/12/13 08:56 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 07:17:45PM -0500, Mike Gilbert wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Patrick Lauer
>> <patr...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>>> Well ...
>>>
>>> I remember filing a bug quite a while ago because we didn't
>>> have a dhcp client included anymore. This made installs quite
>>> annoying because before it was stage3, kernel, bootloader, go!
>>>
>>> And now it was go ... stop ... reboot ... install dhcp client
>>> ... grremblwrrxrmkrxtlmrrrg .... reboot
>>>
>>> That extra step of whining was loud enough to have openrc fixed
>>> to be able to use busybox udhcp, so that "out of the box" most
>>> network worked.
>>>
>>> ... and now people are trying to do the same again.
>>>
>>> I would STRONGLY recommend having a working network setup
>>> included in stage3, so that compared to now nothing changes.
>>>

>> Yeah, after some further thought, I'm inclined to agree.
>
> I think we would be safe as long as we make sure to document in
> the handbook that users must choose a network manager. We could
> recommend netifrc by default for now until we can document how to
> set up the others.
>
> Once all of this hits stable I want to work with releng to get
> them to use standalone dhcpcd on the LiveCD.
>
> What do you think?

If the stage3 could include a dhcp client and (ideally imo) netifrc,
even though they aren't a part of @system, that would help prevent the
"stuff missing, damnit, have to reboot back to livecd" cycle.  Since
it isn't part of @world we would still need the documentation and
instructions for someone to explicitly choose a network provider,
otherwise they'll be bitten with it disappearing via --depclean.