On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:07:39 +0000
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:46:59 +0100
> Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:15:37 +0700
> > "C. Bergström" <cbergst...@pathscale.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Long term the API to pkgcore could be beneficial, but
> > > again I'm not sure it's a game changer for users.
> >
> > Long term, we should have an independent API backend that tools can
> > query; not rewrite our tools every time users want to use them with
> > a different package manager.
>
> Not an API. APIs are bad. What we should have is a good set of
> lightweight Unix-friendly command line tools. See, for example, the
> "Scripting Commands" section of "man cave".

It still is an API that way, just expressed differently; if you
would only do this you're introducing forks where you might not need
them. Providing shell commands is one possible binding to the API...

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D