15.01.2014 03:11, William Hubbs пишет:
> The status quo is not good, because we are forced to keep old, and
> potentially buggy, versions of software around longer than necessary.

<arch team member opinion>
But both of suggested solutions will break the whole idea of stabling.
Dropping packages to unstable on regular basis will annoy our users.

If we have old stable package, it builds and works correctly in new
environment(new gcc, glibc etc), then i do not see the point in rushing
things up, unless there are some more critical things, that needs new
version of this package. Stable should be reasonable. Each new version
of package contains bugfixes, it is true. But we should note, that new
versions(even so-called bugfix releases) can also bring new bugs.
</arch team member>

--
Best regards, Sergey Popov
Gentoo developer