Hi,

I think this has been discussed already [1] but in the end never was
applied or even finished discussing. So I'd like to revive the topic
and apply the necessary changes in a few days if nobody objects
strongly.

Rationale: we have a growing number of CPU-corresponding flags that all
are fit as global USE flags by definition and are usually set once
by user. As far as I'm aware, CPUs don't grow new instruction sets once
installed, so in most of the cases user doesn't need to be concerned by
additional cryptic flag names once he set up his CPU.

Solution: per-arch USE_EXPANDs for flags, e.g.:

  CPU_FLAGS_X86="3dnow 3dnowext avx ..."
  CPU_FLAGS_ARM="neon ..." # arm* flags?
  CPU_FLAGS_MIPS="..." # mips* flags?

Any specific comments? I can handle x86 but I'd appreciate specific
arch teams replying about more exotic arches.

[1]:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/69141

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny