On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 12:58:21 +0100
Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Any specific comments? I can handle x86 but I'd appreciate specific
> arch teams replying about more exotic arches.

+1

i like the idea, but with a list of useflags that would get converted
this could "reach" more people i think

profiles/base/use.mask should be organized enough to easily get such a
list

however, i disagree with your rationale: asm for specific cpu
extensions tend to be written and tested after given cpu is available,
thus if you have a brand new cpu, you want to be notified if a package
gains support for this new instruction set

the advantages I see is that for packages like mplayer or ffmpeg, it
is a pain to distinguish what is a cpu extension, what is a codec or
what is just a preference over an external lib; this would make it
clear.

USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN would also make irrelevant flags for your
architecture hidden and not just masked.

Alexis.