On 01/14/2015 09:55 AM, Christopher Head wrote:
> On January 14, 2015 7:16:46 AM PST, Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
>> however, i disagree with your rationale: asm for specific cpu
>> extensions tend to be written and tested after given cpu is available,
>> thus if you have a brand new cpu, you want to be notified if a package
>> gains support for this new instruction set
>
> Do people really want to be notified if a package gains support for a new
> instruction set? I know I don’t.

Don't worry. You'll only be "notified" in the sense that you can see the
new flags highlighted in the emerge --verbose output.

> I would rather have all possible instruction set extensions available as
> flags and set whichever ones my CPU has once, at install time. If a package
> gains support for an extension later, then whenever it upgrades, it will just
> work, because the relevant flag will already be set in make.conf from back
> when I installed Gentoo on the box.

Yes, that's how it will work. You just set your flags, or the profile
does it for you, and you're done.

> For this to work right requires that a dev add all the extensions to the flag
> before I buy the CPU. All that requires is knowing the names, though; it
> would be fine if no package actually uses the feature yet.

Why should we have to foresee the future? We can easily add support for
new flags in CPU_FLAGS_* variables at any time.
--
Thanks,
Zac