On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 10:12:12 +0100
Ulrich Mueller <u...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> With the recent introduction of the libav USE flag, the Gentoo default
> for ffmpeg vs libav is more pronounced than it was before (with libav
> being listed first in || ( ) dependencies).
>
> In the replies to http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=7694982
> several users have expressed their preference for ffmpeg.
>
> So can someone please remind me what are the technical reasons why we
> prefer libav over ffmpeg?

good luck !

wait for other opinions, but I'd say: libav has a cleaner codebase and
stricter development rules. (NB: some gentoo devs are member of the core
libav dev team)

IMHO, from a pure consumer POV where I want to play a random video and
my programs using the libraries not to break, ffmpeg is much better
(more codecs get in faster, API is preserved a bit longer), so I never
understood nor agreed with that choice of default.

Alexis.