On 04/02/15 11:40, Michał Górny wrote:
It's easiest to look at the trackers:

- ffmpeg-2 [1] -- 26/26 fixed,
- ffmpeg-2.4 [2] -- 3/3 fixed (but unsure if there won't be more),
- libav-9 [3] -- 55/55 fixed,
- libav-10 [4] -- 11/25 fixed.

No offense here but in my experience, ffmpeg support in Gentoo is fixed
faster than libav.

Given I have to fix the downstream issues first in Libav and then whenever FFmpeg decides to drop the stale API they get those for free I'm not surprised.

As per Libav, I managed to convince my fellow developers not to drop 2-years old APIs for some more time, since there is enough orphaned software using it (thus why libav 10 and 11 had been kept API (source) compatible) and we (as Libav) spent a decent chunk of time to get updates for a good number of them.

Sadly the balance between the requirements of our active users, that demands better APIs and the latent users, that did not update since version 0.8 or so, was a bit too much toward the former.

I'd like not to have to discuss more than this since I'm strongly related to Libav and I have no time to get involved in a discussion with fans.

lu