On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 7:20 AM, Anthony G. Basile <bluen...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 9/17/15 7:05 AM, James Le Cuirot wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 06:57:08 -0400
>> "Anthony G. Basile" <bluen...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Totally rethink the idea of emails aliases as something that is
>>> created on the fly.  We just need to know who should get emails for a
>>> package when it comes to bug reports.  Why can't that be calculated
>>> on the fly from the metadata.xml?
>>
>> I've not read every last part of this thread but I think I like where
>> this is going. I just want to be sure that people besides those in the
>> Java herd/project/whatever can continue to receive emails for
>> j...@gentoo.org. For instance, gnu_andrew is not a dev and does not
>> intend to be but he still likes to be CC'd on all Java mail. I would
>> not like to have to add his address to the metadata.xml of every Java
>> package.
>>
> Yes.  If the metadata.xml contained both <project> and <maintainer>  tags,
> it would go to all of j...@gentoo.org and to gnu_andrew.  Already not all
> <maintainers> are devs.

Can you clarify where you intend to stick gnu_andrew?  I think the
concern was NOT listing him as a maintainer on every java package, but
allowing him to still get mail.

I think there are a few levels of indirection involved in your proposal.

Packages have entities who are interested, who can be projects,
maintainers, and observers.
Projects have members and observers.

It sounds like your proposal is basically that every package gets an
email alias, and every project gets an email alias, and they're all
dynamically populated based on both project member/observership and
package metadata.  A package alias may very well end up including one
or more project aliases.

Example.  Bug logged against media-tv/mythtv
Bugzilla assigns to and emails to media-tv/myt...@g.org
Email to media-tv/myt...@g.org goes to myt...@g.org, which goes to
cardoe,rich0@g.o.

Another bug gets logged against media-plugins/mythplugins
Bugzilla assigns to and emails to media-plugins/mythplug...@g.org
Email to media-plugins/mythplug...@g.org goes to myt...@g.org, which
goes to cardoe,rich0@g.o.

Was that what you were getting at?  The obvious concern is whether
there is an issue with all those dyanically-created/destroyed bugzilla
and email accounts.

If you were hoping to cut out a layer I'm not sure that you'd be able
to as easily accommodate cases where both the project and the package
both have multiple email addresses listed.  However, I guess you could
just have bugzilla assign the first project it sees and if not the
first member and if not the first observer and then CC everybody else,
and then any projects or observers in the list could be email aliases.
That is closer to what we're doing today.

--
Rich