----- On 11 Oct, 2015, at 4:17 PM, wraeth wra...@wraeth.id.au wrote:

> On 11/10/15 18:52, Ian Delaney wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 16:27:15 +0200 Alexis Ballier
>> <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> :?

>>> This is cool

>>> This is completely unrelated: since we've had gentoo-commits ml,
>>
>> which was promptly utlised
>>
>>> every one has been able to do commit reviews easily, and most
>>> devs have done so. Self-proclamed reviewers project certainly
>>> does not have the monopoly of best practices nor perfect
>>> knowledge. I hope they do keep the monopoly of being harassing
>>> though :)
>>>
>>> Also, you should probably focus on what's really important:
>>> reviews like "this is weird, care to explain?" or stylistic
>>> nitpicks are just a waste of every one time, meaning more
>>> important stuff does not get done.
>>>

>> To my observation the reaction to this has been between displeasure
>> and dismay.  Yesterday the dev-ML was flooded with the first day's
>> publication of the members' reviews. Firstly the gentoo-commits ML
>> to my understanding is intended to be used for and by qa members.
>> This project has one whom we presume has the discretion to declare
>> the use of the qa hat at whim.
>>
>> As someone once put it, it's not the product or message it's the
>> delivery of the package.  This project in its creation is made of
>> self appointed members who assume the status and qualification to
>> suddenly launch their evaluations upon unsuspecting folk the
>> community wide with neither  warning  nor their prior knowledge nor
>> consent. The editing to the page illustrates already significant
>> back pedalling from feedback already challenging its selected mode
>> of delivery.
>>
>> The project goals and 'would be' mission statement are in fact
>> legitimate and have the backing of Council members.  The execution
>> has been done independently, unilaterally and with no input or
>> collaboration with Council to my knowledge.  The actions of this
>> project potentially impact on every developer / user of the gentoo
>> project, addressing the core skills of both. Yet it has been made,
>> announced and executed in this style.
>>
>> I invested study time in several units in teaching and lecturing in
>> my university education under the education department. Sorry but
>> the modi operandi by these self proclaimed teachers and educators
>> thus far violate almost every fundamental principle in the art of
>> teaching that I learned from the course. There have also been users
>> who have expressed concern to me over this directly, some of which
>> have indicated they will also email this list to make their views
>> known.
>
> I am one of the users who spoke to idella4 about this, but I wanted to
> repeat this publicly in order to highlight the point of view of
> contributing user as opposed to a developer.
>
> Firstly I would like to say that I appreciate feedback on my work - it
> helps me to improve the quality of my work both for Gentoo and personally.

> [...]

I will second your thoughts on this.
As a new proxy-maintainer I expect a lot of feedback, and I welcome
the idea of the reviewers project to help people like me out.

However this could be a little off putting by just sending out to
a general mailing list. Maybe there is a better way to give this feedback?

Thanks
Brendan