On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Ian Delaney <idel...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 09:56:28 -0700
> Matt Turner <matts...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 1:17 AM, wraeth <wra...@wraeth.id.au> wrote:
>

>> > I feel that it is inappropriate for criticisms of contributor's
>> > work to be broadcast on a mailing list that is read not only by the
>> > developer community, but by users as well, without their consent.
>> > This is not a case where I am particularly embarrassed or upset -
>> > if others can learn from my mistakes, then they are mistakes I am
>> > happy to make (preferably only once). But doing so publicly, with
>> > identifying information, is inappropriate.
>>
>> Good grief. Seriously?
>>
>> Mailing list review is the *norm* in the free software world.
>>

> Oh, the norm

You're being quite rude with attempted mockery -- actually, the rest
of your reply is pretty abrupt as well.

If you want to fight, find someone and some place and  else. Otherwise
if you're interested in having a reasonable discussion, please read
on.

>> I haven't seen anything noted that should have caused embarrassment.
>>

> Nor I.
>> This whole thing, as far as I can see, is about improving the quality
>> of Gentoo. I have learned from the reviewers reviewing my commits and
>> the commits of others.
>
> The you haven't been embarrassed or demeaned or nitpicked. So far. Good.
>> It's extremely valuable to do this in public
>> and the idea that noting an error on a public mailing list is somehow
>> bad is simply misguided.
>>

> You throw your opinion on that of a user offering his personal
> reaction. What do you want here? Users to comply to your perspective
> and fit in? Users to tough out the exposure to full public view even if
> they don't like it?

I want to set expectations and explain that noting a mistake is not
anything to be self-conscious or embarrassed about.

> Once and for all this is a review put onto recipients whether they
> wanted it or not without their request or consent. A key aspect of
> learning is that the informative experience be made a positive one.
> This user is not alone. These self appointed educators have background
> in technical prowess and that's all. Quite simply, dishing out lessons
> that make users cringe and recoil is counter productive. This exercise

Why and where was a review "dished out" that made someone cringe or
recoil? I suspect this is just a strawman.

> is about educating, so these educators had better get their heads
> around some the fundamental requirement to command respect from their
> target audience. To date they have managed to deliver their product as
> they see fit. Now they get the feedback that follows from delivering
> their lessons.
>
> These educators have already started to learn some lessons of their
> own. An intrinsic aspect of the flow of teaching / educating is the
> impact of teacher behaviour upon their learners and a teacher's
> responsibility as an educator to deal with it productively. What's
> happening here? Teacher says take it because I gave it to you,now be
> quiet ?

No. It's a discussion. Review can be responded to -- reviewers aren't
intrinsically right.

> This is not a captive audience. It's an immediately convenient one.
> Educators snubbed by their students are not educators. At least not
> effective ones.  These students are so by nature of their own
> voluntary participation. They have the option of rejecting these
> lessons at their whim.

Patch review is widely accepted as a quality-improving tool. Some have
had difficulty adjusting to it when coming from, for instance, the
closed-source world, primarily because they equate making a mistake to
personal failure (and as such, having it pointed out in public makes
it worse).

http://sarah.thesharps.us/2014/09/01/the-gentle-art-of-patch-review/
offers a good explanation.

"The most productive contributors see each mistake they make as a
growth opportunity, instead of a personal failure."