Michał Górny posted on Sun, 01 Nov 2015 19:34:06 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 04:44:39 +1100 Michael Palimaka
> <kensing...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> There's been a lot of discussion about relying on GitHub for pull
>> requests and code review and such, so I have set up a Phabricator
>> instance against gentoo.git to see how a free alternative might work.
>>
>> Here's a few examples of how things could work:
>>
>> General post-commit review:
>> http://phabricator.astralcloak.net/
rGENTOO27ba62d0c7fcabdc79ce82a064b43d67b3b11cca

>> Tracking commits with issues that need attention:
>> http://phabricator.astralcloak.net/audit/query/open/
>>
>> Pre-commit review: http://phabricator.astralcloak.net/D1
>>
>> Phabricator also has all sorts of fancy (optional) features that could
>> be useful for collaborative development (see http://phabricator.org/
>> for more info).
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> At a first glance -- terribly unreadable, wtf is all that tiny stuff
> thrown at me all at once? But I guess we can get used to it, or get some
> kind of sane theme. Tiny, gray text on a little brighter gray background
> with some more shades of gray-cyan around doesn't help readability at
> all.

What browser were you using?  Seems reasonable here on firefox, and I
often enough have problems with web pages that I normally run privoxy
primarily as a color filter (as well as font size adjuster), switching
the normal dark text on a glaring white background to light text on a
dark or black background, without forcing all pages to the same color
scheme as the normal user-side accessibility style-sheet would do.

I tried both with my privoxy filters active, getting the expected light
text on dark background (with darker red and darker green where they'd
normally be light, and black as the default), and with privoxy bypassed,
which gave me a white background with black or near-black text, except
for the diffs, etc, which had the expected light red/green backgrounds,
and links, standard browser link color (here set to cyan unvisited,
yellow visited), I believe.

And at normal 100% zoom, firefox displayed ordinary sized readable text,
too, no zooming in/out necessary.

So I'd guess it was either your browser, or the theme was already
switched (possible I suppose, tho I don't see a post here indicating
that).

> What's the deal with 'rGENTOO56bd759df1d0'? Can't it be made to use
> normal commit hashes, or at least put some separator in that? I know
> enlightenment people like this kind of stuff but it's neither friendly,
> not readable. And it's going to make copy-paste harder.

++.  That's inconvenient, to say the least.

> Second thought, it's slow. I mean, I open a directory and wait a few
> seconds for detailed information to appear, with my CPU getting hot for
> no good reason. I can only guess how hot the server gets in the
> meantime...

While waiting for the detail did take a bit, I didn't notice my CPU doing
anything unusual and rendering seemed speedy enough once the detail came
down, even tho I had been primed by your post to look for it.  Again,
that was with or without privoxy doing its own parsing and filtering as
well.  Again, the CPU thing could well be browser specific.

But while for just browsing the delay didn't seem extraordinarily long
for being served from an Internet server obviously doing some dynamic
calculation and page generation, actually working with it, I agree,
waiting for the detail to show up could get old rather fast.

While my home system's reasonably powered for a gentoo build system (I'd
say nothing special mid-grade given it's a build machine, AMD bulldozer-1-
based fx6100, 6-core, slightly overclocked to 3.6 GHz, 16 gig RAM), the
systems I use at work are slow enough I press a button and find myself
wondering if it's just slow to respond, or if it didn't register and I
need to press it again, and while one does get used to pressing a button
and waiting... it's definitely nice to be back on my own faster system
again.  So I know what it's like trying to work with slow responding
systems for hours at a time, and yes, while one does get used to it, it
certainly does get old, and I can well imagine this would as well.

But as I've not used any other review systems and just browsed this setup
a bit, I've nothing to go on in terms of comparison.

(No real opinion on the rest.)