On 15 Dec 2015 10:24, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
> i looked through portage code and we do have xml parsing sprinkled
> throughout, mostly in repoman for obvious reasons.  why are we trying to
> avoid xml?  to be honest i don't have strong feelings about either the
> flat file (a la /etc/passwd) or xml.
>
> i'm interested in this because the hardened-sources kernel does make use
> of some special uid/gids.  gengor pointed me to glep 27 and suggested
> that i implement it but i wasn't that interested.  still, it would clean
> up the hardened.

i don't think XML adds that much over RST, and are trivial to parse, both
on an ad-hoc basis, as well as python has modules to enable it.  i think
most people would agree RST or flat text files are less verbose than XML
w/out really losing that much (if anything).  at the time i was thinking
XML purely because we were much more of an XML shop at the time (we had
guidexml and metadata.xml), but with the rise of wiki/github/glep and the
fall of guidexml, the project has moved on.
-mike