On 15 Dec 2015 15:56, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

> > a flat text file akin to /etc/passwd is not readable.  xml is readable.
>
> ESR's case study about the password file format seems to disagree:
> http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/ch05s01.html#id2901332

because you cited it, i read it anyways.  that document is about how text
formats should be preferred over binary formats because they do not require
custom tools to modify/update, and because it's easier for binary formats
to screw themselves over from a portability/extensible pov.  it does not
champion the passwd format all by itself, and even says that it's a bit
rigid, and you should consider tagged formats if you want something more.
which we do.

see also the example i posted to Alec as why the format is hostile to devs
whereas my simple RST proposal has none of these issues.

we also know the format works because it's been in use by CrOS for two
years now, including:
(1) profile stacking/overrides
(2) marking users as "dead"
(3) tools to verify/check consistency at rest
(4) parallel installs
(5) correct handling of ROOT and SYSROOT
although 4/5 were written only with Linux/flat files in mind, so they do
not support other OS's or account formats (e.g. ldap/etc...).  i imagine
we'll need to merge with the existing user.eclass logic rather than drop
in replace.
-mike