On 15/02/16 02:16, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2016 15:56, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
>>> can you list the projects that utilize eudev ?  the repo doesn't
>>> that i can see.  it is the central criticism imo when correct
>>> interaction with other projects is key.  people rely on rules being
>>> parsed & run correctly, as well as information provided by udev
>>> matching what they are running/testing everyday.
>> until patrick brought up the list of distros, i was only aware of
>> alpine which is a musl based distro.  then puppy and slack came
>> forward.  they build their entire system using eudev as the libudev
>> provider.  if there were issues, they would bring forward bug reports
>> like any other project.
>>
>> so when you say "people rely on rules being parsed ..." i don't know
>> why those user bases are dismissed.
> i'm not dismissing them per-se.  i'm being practical here: i think you
> can agree that the combined developer base of alpine/puppy/slack(ware?)
> is significantly smaller as compared to the distros using udev.
> -mike
by "udev" do you mean systemd (as they are losely one-and-the-same) or
the unsupported udev-severed-from-systemd ...
Of course there is no comparison between Anthony's work on eudev and the
systemd 'crowd' it's just a non-question.

I think people are confusing the fact that there IS no separate 'udev'
.. it is the work of a gentoo maintainer to make it work without
systemd. To this end, does it really matter that OpenRC users are
reliant on a gentoo developer applying heavy patching of 'upstream'
udev-for-systemd .. or another gentoo developer working on an
alternative that's roughly API-compatible. The discussion is how you
jump the inevitable shark, and perhaps by switching the default and
having a bit of time ahead to deal with issues, is surely better than
facing a large breakage ahead, when there remains an option to switch
back to the current udev if there are problems with eudev. It also gives
Anthony a chance to have a greater user-base to test and evaluate eudev
so that improvements can be made in a timely fashion before
udev-without-systemd becomes unavailable (for whatever set of reasons).