On Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:58:19 AM CEST, Mike Frysinger wrote:
To make forward progress on bug 417451, introduce a new sep-usr eclass
that will hold all logic related to having a separate /usr.  For now,
this is just the gen_usr_ldscript function and a new USE=sep-usr flag.

Good idea, thanks. I'm not 100% convinced it is worth a useflag (instead of e.g. a make.defaults variable that one can override in make.conf), but why not.

All ebuilds that call gen_usr_ldscript today will migrate to this and
will allow people to move away from installing things into /.  For the
systems that want to have a split-/usr partition, they can turn on this
USE flag across their system.

Your patchset seems to be missing some ebuilds in that regard: expat and sys-freebsd/* come to mind.

This also allows us to mask the flag on many targets where it doesn't
make sense (like most prefix setups) and where we don't want to support
it at all.

It should be noted that, unless I missed something, the default settings will *not anymore* allow sep-usr after this patchset (sep-usr useflag will be disabled). This should be advertised more (a news item?) or simply sep-usr added to make.defaults. The latter will also enable busybox's sep-usr support.

Alexis.