On Sat, Apr 02, 2016 at 12:35:58PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 09:36:56PM +0200, Alexis Ballier wrote:

> > > i see no significant number of people clamoring for this as the default.
> > > the bug that started this has everyone on board for changing the default.
> >
> > yes; I also tend to think fedora's usr move is what makes most sense
> > nowadays, but that'd go against council
>
> No, it wouldn't. We made a decision in 2013 (I'll have to find it) that
> separate /usr should only be supported via initramfs; there is also a
> news item warning that if you are not using initramfs and you have
> separate /usr your system will be unbootable in the future.

Here are the latest council decision on the matter [1] and news item [2].
At this point, if anyone who has split /usr isn't using initramfs,
they are operating on borrowed time.

I would agree, since it has been so long, that we should do another news
item, but once the news item is done and we give a firm date, I think
we should just kill off gen_usr_ldscript.

The /usr merge is a separate issue, which I agree with as well, but that
was never brought to council, and it is controversial in the Gentoo camp
because some folks claim fhs doesn't allow it.

William

[1]
https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20130924-summary.txt
[2]