On Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:19:52 PM CEST, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On 31 Mar 2016 19:00, Alexis Ballier wrote:
On Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:07:28 PM CEST, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On 31 Mar 2016 16:05, Alexis Ballier wrote: ...

i dont think anybody expects you to post tree-wide conversion patches to -dev ml :)

but i also dont think it is a good idea to leave the toolchain-funcs version around, and if you want to drop it, you'll have to fill bugs to let ppl know, which is probably more work than adding 8 chars to an inherit line that can be automated

sure -- backwards compat won't be dropped until we're confident everyone
has migrated over

... which introduces a mess to track what has been converted and what not while it can be done once and for good

not sure if this was phrased as such, but I seem to recall a council decision stating that separate /usr should be made easy to users unless this causes serious issues; thus, no, I don't think that is the behavior we want :) ...

pretty sure the decision was that it's not required to be supported.

lemme look it up for you then:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Council_decisions

systems with separate /usr should be supported. However, users shouldn't be constrained from using software which doesn't support that. -- 04/2012 meeting

The council has voted in favour of a separate /usr being supported
(5 yes, 1 no vote).

 and
regardless of that, i don't see the default behavior of being off as being
contra "easy to use".

but you're right there, it doesn't make it hard to use, just not working out of the box, which is already debatable; however, with eudev being the default I don't think there is anything preventing it atm with a default setup, but i might certainly stand corrected there