On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 10:33 AM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.ever...@iee.org> wrote:
> I'll come back to the links a bit later, but is policykit and its
> predecessor/derivatives now a mandatory part of a linux system?

The only mandatory component in a linux system, by definition, is the
Linux kernel.

A linux system could consist of nothing but a kernel with
init=/usr/local/bin/hello-world.

Most traditional linux distros are going to run policykit though.  Of
course you can have a mostly-traditional distro that doesn't, at least
until everything wants to use dbus or whatever ends up replacing it
once son-of-kdbus comes along and gets accepted.

--
Rich