Rich Freeman posted on Fri, 08 Apr 2016 06:36:48 -0400 as excerpted:

> Really though the main point of merging these paths into /usr is to get
> all the static content of a distro into a single path, which can then be
> maintained as a read-only filesystem, mounted across multiple systems,
> protected using tripwire or signature checking, and so on. As has been
> pointed out the rolling release nature of Gentoo reduces some of these
> benefits somewhat.  To truly get these benefits we would also need to
> rethink how post-install configuration gets managed as was already
> pointed out.

Somewhat unrelated to the /usr or bin/sbin merge here, as (nearly)
everything the package manager installs to any of its paths (including
/usr, FWIW, but that's easy because my is a /usr -> . symlink) is on /,
here, but FWIW, I actually do keep my / read-only mounted by default.

So / is only mounted writable to update and/or change configuration.
That includes /etc/ and of course my /usr -> . symlink, as well as parts
of /var.  The parts of /var that system services need to write into
during normal operation (well, the ones that need to be permanent, those
like /var/run that should be temporary are already on tmpfs mounts) are
symlinked into subdirs under /home/var, with /home of course being
mounted writable by default, so they can be written into during normal
operation despite / being mounted read-only.

Works out pretty well, actually, improving reliability of /, since it's
normally mounted ro and thus is fully stable in the event of a system
crash.  Not having to worry about being unable to get to my system
recovery tools on / in the event of a bad crash because / was mounted
read-only and thus wasn't susceptible to the damage that writable-mounted
filesystems can sustain in the event of a hard shutdown is nice. =:^)