On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 09:20:19AM -0500, William Hubbs wrote

> Here is more info about the split and why it exists. It turns out it hs
> nothing to do with system admininistration or permissions.
>
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
> http://www.osnews.com/story/25556/Understanding_the_bin_sbin_usr_bin_usr_sbin_Split/
>
> In short, this is all a historical artifact with justifications thought
> up after the fact.

  The historical reasons may or may not exist any longer.  The question
is "what is the current situation?".  The current situation is that
there are 3 classes of software...
1) system software that is required for bootup (mount, init, etcetera)
2) system software that is usually used by root for admin purposes
3) regular applications that users use

  Question... do we really want "GIMP", "Firefox", etcetera, in the same
directory as "mount", "chroot", "login", "passwd", "ifconfig", etcetera?
I don't think so.  I want separate "system progs" versus "user progs"
directories.  There may be an argument for merging /bin and /sbin
directories (items 1 and 2 above), but user applications should be
separate.  If we move /bin and /sbin into /usr/bin, I suggest moving all
user programs to /usr/local/binuser applications should be separate.  If

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>