On Tue, Mar  7, 2017, at 10:52 CST, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> As a Bitcoin user I personally don't feel too happy with my experience
>> changing without me changing USE-flags. I'm not against changing the name of
>> the USE-flag, just against changing the default behavior and applying a
>> bunch of patches that Core might or might not support.
>>
>> If you compare this to the kernel would it not make more sense to create
>> something like bitcoin-knots (vanilla-sources vs gentoo-sources)?
>>

> Wouldn't this mean having 2^n packages if there are multiple optional
> patches like this available?

No.

The bitcoin client is a sercurity relevant packages where applying a
gigantic, third-party patchset isn't exactly something that should be
hidden behind a use flag. The comparison with the kernel sources makes a
lot of sense (vanilla-sources versus gentoo-sources).

I agree that a separate ebuild for the client with knots patches is a
much better approach.