On 07/11/2017 11:06 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensing...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
>> On 07/11/2017 09:29 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
>>>
>>> Even if such stabilization is allowed, there are unanswered
>>> questions here:
>>> - is following seciton 4.1 from wg recommendations is sufficient?
>>> - should developer test each stabilization candidate on an
>>> up-to-date stable setup?
>>
>> The guidelines from that document are ripped straight out of the
>> devmanual and are a good starting point but rather generic. You can find
>> some more detailed suggestions on things to consider while testing on
>> the wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_testing
>>

> I think that in practice arch teams don't do have the stuff on that
> wiki page.  Maybe some people do, but back when I was an amd64 AT I
> don't think anybody went testing multiple USE combinations for a
> typical package.

Everything on that page is deliberately a suggestion only, and not
necessarily specific to stabilisation testing.

In the end, we've never been able to reach any consensus on what exactly
an arch tester should do. Personally, I think we should just switch to
fully-automated, build-only testing for stabilistions unless the
maintainer opts otherwise (something that largely happens in practice
already). The main risk of breakage of a package moving from testing to
stable is always at build time anyway.