On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 7:42 AM Ulrich Mueller <u...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > Can we please put users above silly politics?  Gentoo 'does not depend'
> > on any non-free package to print the warning.  If people have hardware
> > that requires non-free firmware, the least we can do is point out where
> > to get this firmware from.
>
> s/If/If and only if/ and I'll be fine with it. :)

Are you proposing that the ebuild inspect the user's hardware and/or
kernel config before printing a warning? That sounds like a terrible
idea to me. Who is going to maintain the problematic hardware list?

I do think it would be nice to give people a way to opt-out of seeing
this warning message every time they install a kernel though.