>> s/If/If and only if/ and I'll be fine with it. :)

> Are you proposing that the ebuild inspect the user's hardware and/or
> kernel config before printing a warning?

Of course not.

> That sounds like a terrible idea to me. Who is going to maintain the
> problematic hardware list?

> I do think it would be nice to give people a way to opt-out of seeing
> this warning message every time they install a kernel though.

IMHO this type of message just adds noise to emerge output, which
elsewhere we have fought to reduce (using readme.gentoo-r1.eclass,
for example).

So yes, you need to install a kernel, a bootloader, and maybe some
specific system tools and firmware. All of this is documented in the
handbook [1], and for the others we don't display messages all the time
if we divine that something could be possibly missing.

Anyway, this is just about verboseness of output. I think I've made my
point, so I'll shut up now. :)

Ulrich

[1]
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel#Optional:_Installing_firmware