Hi,

On 2020/08/06 21:45, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
> On 2020-08-06 20:56, Rich Freeman wrote:
>> Has anything even changed with kexec?  Or is this an issue that has
>> been an issue for many years in kexec, that will suddenly become an
>> issue in genkernel?  In that case it is news from a genkernel
>> perspective, and something anybody with a correctly-booting system
>> fixed a long time ago if they're using kexec.
> Well, first it was an annoyance I became aware of myself when I noticed
> a system having dozen of root arguments in kernel command-line. I think
> we even talked about this in #gentoo-base a while ago:
>
>> # cat /proc/cmdline
>> domdadm dolvm dosshd crypt_root=UUID=a-b-c-d root=UUID=e-f-g-h rootfs=xfs
>> scandelay=3 root_trim=yes vga=0x317 gk.log.keep=/var/log/genkernel-boot.log
>> root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2
>> root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2
>> root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2
>> root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2
>> root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2
>> root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2  root=/dev/dm-2
> ...you can count how often the system was rebooted using kexec ;)
>
> This week I also received a bug report from a user who upgraded to
> genkernel-4.1 where first reboot failed but everything was working after
> a reset (cold boot).
>
> During my investigation I was able to trigger this by myself, for
> example when I close and re-open LVM volume and trigger new symlink for
> re-opened root volume (this sounds like a non-typical use case for some
> people but when dealing LVM backups/snapshots it's not that uncommon).
>
> So this became a bug for me in our kexec runscript which I fixed
> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=4860fce5434f46d90e913ff10515a9a256fc6c6a
> and already warn about
> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=61c03ffab76740c0420e3c8a3185d047d461f7a7

Can you detect in the runscript that this will trigger and issue a cold
reboot instead if this would trigger?

Having never used kexec before ... I may well be missing the point.  But
I'd rather have the system issue a cold reboot if kexec (which sounds
really cool in principle) stands any chance of failing.

Kind Regards,
Jaco