On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 12:07:40PM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 09:29:59AM -0800, Matt Turner wrote:

> > > I still fail to see the "why" in here. Repoman is better than pure 'git
> > > commit' that I know some people still like to use, and as long as it's
> > > kept maintained.
> >
> > repoman is inferior to other tooling mentioned. The other tooling is
> > actually run in CI. Developers should get the same warnings locally as
> > in CI. Restated another way: I'm tired of telling people to stop using
> > repoman or "pkgcheck would have caught that".
>
> I am going to nit-pick here, but pkgcheck pulls in pkgcore still. As far
> asI know, pkgcore was meant to be a portage-like package manager, but it
> isn't maintained. So, can we break that dependency before we make
> pkgcheck the official tool for qa checks? I would rather not have
> pkgcore landing on everyone's systems unless it is usable. If I am wrong
> about pkgcore, please correct me and I'll be quiet, but if not let's
> make pkgcheck independent from it before we deprecate repoman.

Yes, pkgcheck pulls in pkgcore, and yes, pkgcore wants to function as
a package manager, but it doesn't conflict with Portage, so there's no
concern in pulling it in. As long as you don't call the executables it
installs (notably pmerge, maybe others), it won't cause any
problems. pkgcheck can also already be considered our official CI
tool, since it's what does our CI.