On Fri, 2023-08-11 at 07:46 -0700, orbea wrote:

> Understandable, but I still don't get how 1 or 2 people can take care
> of SBo every week while Gentoo the process stagnates.

Probably due to compartmentalization. In Gentoo you're often waiting
for one maintainer. Or worse, waiting for one "project" consisting of
several people none of whom actually care about the package the PR
touches.

> > But also, Github sucks. Open bugs.
> >

> No disagreements and personally I wouldn't use Github if not for it
> being beyond my control, but there are still 235 open PRs with bugs
> assigned.
>
> https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22bug+linked%22

Linking a bug was a half-hearted attempt to appease the folks who think
that Gentoo development shouldn't depend on proprietary software (per
our social contract). But if the bug just points me to Github, it
doesn't really change anything.

I of course have a comprehensive list of Github complaints in mind 24
hours a day, but they're not especially relevant. What is relevant is
that some other developers have their own list, and sometimes you're
waiting on one developer who doesn't like to use Github for whatever
reason. My personal PR queue is of length zero, so I'm not making
excuses, but when you want something done for free it's in your best
interest to make it easy for the person who has to do it.