On 2024-02-27 14:45, Michał Górny wrote:

In my opinion, at this point the only reasonable course of action
would be to safely ban "AI"-backed contribution entirely.  In other
words, explicitly forbid people from using ChatGPT, Bard, GitHub
Copilot, and so on, to create ebuilds, code, documentation, messages,
bug reports and so on for use in Gentoo.

I very much support this idea, for all the three reasons quoted.

2. Quality concerns. LLMs are really great at generating plausibly looking bullshit. I suppose they can provide good assistance if you
are careful enough, but we can't really rely on all our contributors
being aware of the risks.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2211.03622

3. Ethical concerns.

...yeah. Seeing as we failed to condemn the Russian invasion of Ukraine in 2022, I would probably avoid quoting this as a reason for banning LLM-generated contributions. Even though I do, as mentioned above, very much agree with this point.

--
Marecki