On 24/04/01 08:40AM, orbea wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2024 11:14:15 -0400
> Kenton Groombridge <conc...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > > Yes I saw that yesterday. It only increased my level of concern
> > > about the project ten-fold rather than decreased it, particularly
> > > because of "he has been helping a lot off-list and is practically a
> > > co-maintainer already".
> > >

> > I think it's important to realize that this could have potentially
> > happened to any number of various open source projects, not just
> > xz-utils. Simply ripping it out and replacing it is not enough to
> > prevent these kinds of issues from happening in the future.
> >
> > There is a major shifting of perspectives as a result of this
> > unfortunate compromise. Right now there are serious considerations
> > about banning (or otherwise auditing) binary blobs in some projects.
> > There are talks about banning the use of older build systems like
> > autotools in favor of ones more easily readable and auditable.
>
> Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

Let's not shoot the messenger here. :)

I cited this specific example to highlight the shared intent behind
positive changes to auditing code not just in the program but also its
build system. I didn't mean to imply that this was a great solution.

--
Kenton Groombridge
Gentoo Linux Developer, SELinux Project