Michael Orlitzky posted on Wed, 03 Apr 2024 12:40:26 -0400 as excerpted:

> On Wed, 2024-04-03 at 16:30 +0100, Eddie Chapman wrote:
>> It does involve a relatively small hack and functionality previously
>> provided by xz-utils is replaced by app-arch/p7zip.
>
> I did the same thing with app-arch/unzip a long time ago. You caught a
> lot of shit for your post, but I don't think it was out of line.
>
> Worst case? You spent a lot of time building a fragile solution to a
> non-problem that everyone said you were crazy for wanting in the first
> place. Hi, this is Gentoo, glad to have you.

Gentoo as "meta-distro":

Yes.  I suspect many, perhaps most, Gentooers (individually or at the
company level for corporate deployments) eventually end up doing their own
thing to some degree or another.  I haven't seen the term used much
recently, but Gentoo can legitimately lay claim to "meta-distro", that is,
a distro that makes it reasonably easy to do your own thing, creating a
"mini-distro" for your own use.  In fact it's reasonable to argue that (at
least before the gentoo-mainstream binary packages became a thing) the
relative costs of building it yourself likely ultimately lead most users
who do /not/ need the meta-distro aspect to switch back to a more binary-
inclined distro, perhaps arch if they still want a lot of flexibility,
which means the ones that stick around on Gentoo for say a decade or
longer tend to do so /because/ they ended up using that meta-distro
aspect.

In my own case my reverse-usrmerge ( /usr -> .) is certainly my biggest
current meta-distro level divergence, tho historically, keeping
USE=-semantic-desktop functionality alive locally during the period that
the gentoo/kde project dropped it was an equally major divergence... but
equally doable due to Gentoo's meta-distro aspect.

Tho both would be rather harder were it not for git; I may not have done
either one if git hadn't happened and svn was still king.