On Saturday 01 October 2005 10:47, Charles Trois wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am posting this to both gentoo-user and gentoo-ppc-user lists.
> My problem concerns the installation of Gentoo Linux on my G4 iMac,
> using the 2005.1 universal ppc disk.
>
> I should first mention that I have done this before, using the 2005.0
> disk, and there was no trouble whatsoever.
>
> Now I have the same hardware and the same partitions. The install
> process went smoothly to its end, the kernel compiled at the first
> attempt, and the bootloader is well configured.
>
> But when I boot and choose "l for Linux", I get this message (copied
> by hand):

Is Mac OS X still booting?
Can you still boot from CD?

> Please wait, loading kernel
> Elf32 kernel loaded
> System.map loaded at 01700000, size:260 Kbytes
> Opening display /[EMAIL PROTECTED]/NVDA,[EMAIL PROTECTED]  ok
> Copying OF device tree...done
> Calling quiesce...
> returning 0x01400000 from prom_init
>
> And then everything hangs; the only way out is to cut the power.

I had a similar problem with an iBook G3 (2xUSB) some years ago. It got
solved by Apple replacing some hardware. Everything was working fine
with Mac OS X but after the linux install it did not want to reboot
anymore at all but just brought that quiesce message - however without
the returning line - iirc.

maybe it helps...
flo