> What packages in portage in the following categories are recommended?
>
> (1) Ripping from audio cd to ogg vorbis format
> (2) Server to stream from a large collection of ogg vorbis music files

Sorry, I know this is an old thread....

If you just want to stream the music to yourself, I've found that apache
works well for me. I just put all my oggs in one directory and tell xmms
to fetch them from there. It streams just fine from my home to my work.
I've never used icecast, but I was always under the impression that it's
purpose was for streaming the same stream to multiple clients although it
could easily work for one client.
Ryan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]