I have an optical USB Logitech mouse that I want to
use on my gentoo system.  My USB is on the
motherboard, and cat /proc/pci shows:

USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB
(rev 1).
      IRQ 9.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      I/O at 0xd400 [0xd41f].
  Bus  0, device   4, function  3:

So, I think its working ok.  But, before I go changing
my X config (which I have working fine with my ps2
mouse), how can I check to make sure it is working?
You know like you cat /dev/mouse and move the mouse
around to get it to show garble on the screen?  How
can I test the USB port and this mouse?

Also, what would the device and protocol entries be in
XF86Config for a USB mouse?