I have noticed the same thing, it is due to the export
CONFIG_PROTECT="-*" instruction that you pass right
before emerging portage. I only see one solution :
you can 'export CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/make.conf"'

Hope this helps

Jonathan

 --- "Brett I. Holcomb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a
écrit : > Is the USE variable in /etc/make.conf really
used