Hello,

Alright, I've looked through the mailing list archive and read last year's
discussion on the LSB.  The main conclusion was that Gentoo wasn't LSB
compliant because:

1) LSB requires the use of RPMs.
2) KDE (and maybe Gnome) are in a different directory.  Changing this would
conflict with our ability to install both kde2 and kde3 at the same time.

With respect to (1), I don't think that's quite true.  I read an article a
few days ago by one of the LSB members who said that the LSB doesn't require
distros to use RPM as their package system.  Rather, it requires them to be
*able* to install RPMs.  He gave the example that Debian's  "alien" program
fills this requirement.  If this is correct, we could simply have an equivalent
of "alien" for Gentoo.

With respect to (2), I must say I don't really understand the problem.  If the
Gentoo has KDE in /usr/kde/2 and /usr/kde/3, and LSB doesn't allow /usr/kde,
why don't we just move /usr/kde to /usr/share, so we would make:

/usr/share/kde/2
/usr/share/kde/3

I'm sure that this question just demonstrates my ignorance of LSB and Gentoo,
but heck, asking is the only way I'll learn.

--
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant.  Math Dept.