Daniel Carrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > converting a binary rpm to an ebuild is doable.  but only to the
> > extent of minor dependency-checking and tracking installed files.
> > maybe someone feels like a masochist and "fixes this" sometime.
>
> There's no need to fix anything.  As long as an RPM can get
> installed, the LSB doesn't care.

  I care.  :-)

  I'd like to be able to install / uninstall the rpm via emerge and
  have emerge track its files.  an alien for emerge if you like.

> > in short, the FHS and LSB do not produce a solution for the
> > problem.  it's more defined as a non-issue, and you get pointed to
> > /opt -- which according to the FHS doesn't fit either Gnome or KDE
> > anyway.
>
> Why doesn't /opt work?  I've looked at the FHS section on /opt and I
> don't see what's wrong with /opt/gnome and /opt/kde.

  because stuff in /opt is supposed to be static packages, not
  dependent on anything else on the system, least of all other
  packages (heck, formally even depending on glibc is bad).  this also
  works the other way around, no packages should ideally depend on
  anything located in /opt.

  both Gnome and KDE break this both ways.  they depend on stuff in /
  or /usr, and other packages depend on KDE or Gnome libraries.

--
Terje