Daniel Carrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  [ ... ]

> With respect to (1), I don't think that's quite true.  I read an
> article a few days ago by one of the LSB members who said that the
> LSB doesn't require distros to use RPM as their package system.
> Rather, it requires them to be *able* to install RPMs.  He gave the
> example that Debian's "alien" program fills this requirement.  If
> this is correct, we could simply have an equivalent of "alien" for
> Gentoo.

  converting a binary rpm to an ebuild is doable.  but only to the
  extent of minor dependency-checking and tracking installed files.
  maybe someone feels like a masochist and "fixes this" sometime.

> With respect to (2), I must say I don't really understand the
> problem.  If the Gentoo has KDE in /usr/kde/2 and /usr/kde/3, and
> LSB doesn't allow /usr/kde, why don't we just move /usr/kde to
> /usr/share, so we would make:
>
> /usr/share/kde/2
> /usr/share/kde/3

  because that's misuse of /usr/share.
  from: <url: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.11.html>

# The /usr/share hierarchy is for all read-only architecture
# independent data files.

  in short, the FHS and LSB do not produce a solution for the problem.
  it's more defined as a non-issue, and you get pointed to /opt --
  which according to the FHS doesn't fit either Gnome or KDE anyway.

> I'm sure that this question just demonstrates my ignorance of LSB
> and Gentoo, but heck, asking is the only way I'll learn.

  I've heard that reading also helps.  :-)

--
Terje