On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:54:48 -0800
Timothy Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am very happily running linux-wlan-ng on my R31 ThinkPad with a built in
> prism card.
>
> I do have two questions though.
>
> linux-wlan-ng uses an init script called wlan. This is not a Gentoo flavour
> init script, but it still works pretty well. The problem is that I want my
> net.wlan0 init script to "need" the wlan init script and I'm not sure how to
> do this. I've tried...
>
> init.d/wlan..
> depend {
>       provide wlan
> }
>
> init.d/net.wlan0...
> depend {
>       need wlan
> }
>
> but that doesn't work as rc-update bitches about wlan not being a dependancy
> or something like that.

Maybe it is "use". But can you explain why wlan instead pcmcia? pcmcia works fine for
me?
> Second. I have a completely different wireless configuration at home and at
> the office. This isn't a big issue as I have two configuration files and a
> script that I run by hand to change from home configuration to work
> configuration and vice-versa.
>
> I'd love to find a way to automatically detect which network I'm in proximity
> to and automatically configure for that network at startup. If anyone has any
> suggestions they would be gladly accepted.

I thought the default setting in wlan-conf is SSID_wlan0="", which means any network
in the range. I am using my wireless card in my home and at school, no need to
configure another wlancfg-xxxx file. Of course, unless you want to access specific AP.