David Chandraratnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hey
>
> This actually sounds really feasible. I might be able to put this off with a bit of
> luck. :)
> Will look into this, as we are on a lan at uni.
>
> Might involve a bit more that $5 meal as it is technically not work related.
> Although it would not be the first time that a open case and a spare IDE cable has
> helped me
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

For sure :)

I have a old 1995 Maxtor 1.2GB drive I use to transfer and carry
tarballs from computer to computer (geek!) and a copy of

cp -R /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage /mnt/oldmaxtordrive/usr/portage

The above should include all the packages you just downloaded with
the instructions in the other post. It shouldnt take more than
300-900 MB's depending on how much you want to DL...

Im suggesting this to you because in case of a *mishap* ;) and a
restart of the install, you dont end up losing everything if you are
one of those people that run everything from / with just three
partitions.

If you dont have an extra HD laying around, then go ahead and create
seperate partitions for / /tmp /var /opt /usr /usr/local /home and
(assuming /home is going to be your largest partition) make a copy of
/usr/portage in /home like so:

        cp -R /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage /mnt/gentoo/home/portage

This is just a backup of what you downloaded in case of some sort of
problem or human error. Either way, you still have a backup of your
information up above in /home... just make sure to not reformat /home
or change the partition. I've never used more than 4GB's for /usr
so... If you have room... go ahead and

tar -cvjpf /mnt/gentoo/home/portage.tbz2 /mnt/gentoo/home/portage/*

and burn to CD-R... that way you always have a place to start with
Gentoo ( the live CD) and the packages on another disk.

Anyways, Im glad I could be of help...